The Mountain State Forest Festival and Citizens Bank of West Virginia announce the kick-off of the annual Woodly the Elf poster contest for the 81st autumn celebration. Citizens Bank of West Virginia is the sponsor of the festival’s official mascot.
Click here to download the Woodly the Elf Poster Contest Entry Form
The contest, now in its 40th year, is held to select the student who will have the honor of serving as Woodly the Elf. The poster winner will become a member of the royal minor court of Queen Silvia LXXXI; additionally, the official mascot will make appearances at the Buckwheat Festival and Strawberry Festival.
The Woodly the Elf contest is open to Randolph County students in second, third or fourth grades – including home school, private or public schools. Four runner-ups will be chosen and invited to ride on the Woodly the Elf float in the Grand Feature Parade.
Entry forms are available at local elementary schools, the Mountain State Forest Festival office and Citizens Bank in Elkins and Beverly; forms may also be downloaded here or you can visit the Facebook page for the Mountain State Forest Festival or Citizens Bank of West Virginia. Woodly the Elf’s costume and associated fees are paid for by the sponsor, Citizens Bank of West Virginia.
Rules of the contest are as follows:
1. The poster should depict Woodly the Elf watching or participating in one or more Mountain State Forest Festival events. The theme of the 2017 festival is: FALL into Autumn Traditions
2. The poster is to be on a 22-inch by 28-inch poster board.
3. Only one entry per student is permitted; this is not a group project.
4. Be creative and imaginative. You may use glue, glitter, material, etc. in your design. You may not use photos or any identifying text on the front of the poster.
5. On the back of the poster, you must write the following sentence and sign your name:
“I have completed this poster by myself.”
Contest entries are due by March 24, 2017. Entries should be returned to the student’s Teacher or the MSFF Office. No late entries are accepted. For more information, please contact the Forest Festival office via e-mail at: email@example.com. The 81st Mountain State Forest Festival is scheduled for September 30, 2017 through October 8, 2017.