ELKINS – Mountain State Forest Festival officials have announced the kickoff of the annual Woodly the Elf poster contest for the 86th autumn celebration.
Woodly the Elf is the official mascot of the Mountain State Forest Festival.
The poster contest, now in its 45th year, is held to select the student who will have the honor of serving as Woodly the Elf. The poster winner will become a member of the Royal Minor Court of Queen Silvia LXXXVI, and make appearances at the Buckwheat Festival and Strawberry Festival.
The Woodly the Elf contest is open to Randolph County students in second, third or fourth grades – including home school, private or public schools. Four runner-ups will be chosen and invited to ride on the Woodly the Elf float in the Grand Feature Parade.
Entry forms are available at local elementary schools, the Mountain State Forest Festival office located at 10 11th Street, Office F, and at Citizens Bank in Elkins and Beverly. Entry forms may also be downloaded at www.forestfestival.com or you can visit the Facebook page of the Mountain State Forest Festival or Citizens Bank of West Virginia.
Woodly the Elf’s costume and associated fees are paid for by the sponsor, Citizens Bank of West Virginia.
Rules of the contest are as follows:
1. The poster must depict Woodly the Elf, preferably watching or participating in one or more Mountain State Forest Festival events. The theme “Timeless Traditions” should also be clearly depicted on the front of the poster.
2. The poster is to be on a 22-inch by 28-inch poster board.
3. Poster must be submitted by one individual; this is not a group project.
4. Be creative and imaginative. You may use glue, glitter, material, etc. in your design. You may not use photos or any identifying text on the front of the poster.
5. Only one entry per student is permitted.
6. On the back of the poster, you must write and sign: “I have completed this poster by myself,” with the student’s signature.
Completed posters can be returned to the child’s school or dropped off at the festival office at 10 11th Street, Office F.
Contest entries are due by March 15. No late entries are accepted.
The 86th edition of the Mountain State Forest Festival will take place Saturday, Sept. 28 – Sunday, Oct. 6. For more information, please visit the Mountain State Forest Festival website at www.forestfestival.com or via e-mail at [email protected].